Sunday, September 17, 2017

My Journey to Nidan


After recently receiving my Second Degree (Nidan) Black Belt from Sensei Norman Beck (an honor that I am both proud of and humbled by), I wanted to take a look back and reflect on that journey in a very technical way.  I decided to sit and make a list of all of the various kata, forms, and drills that I've learned and worked through over the years, including the 7 new forms of which I have had the honor of being part of their creation over my past two years of training in the way of Kosei-Ryu Bu-Jutsu.



It goes without saying that the many hours of developing kihon for the kata in the following list steps far beyond the measure of just being able to mimic the movements of each set.  Each individual technique was explored in great detail, including fighting applications (bunkai), body mechanics, and power generation concepts.  While I, by no means, still have each of these kata fresh in my mind and body to a degree of being able to perform them proficiently upon demand, each was a very significant step in developing my knowledge and skills as a complete martial artist.  The concepts examined through each of these steps of my journey have forged me into the student (regardless of my rank, I will always consider myself a student of the martial arts), martial artist, and spiritual warrior that I am today.

Karate Kata Studied and Learned over the years:
    Karate-Do
  • Taikyoku Shodan (Sensei White)
  • Taikyoku Nidan (Sensei White)
  • Taikyoku Sandan (Sensei White)
  • Pinan Shodan (Sensei White)
  • To-San (Sensei White)
  • Pinan Nidan (Sensei White)
  • Pinan Sandan (Sensei White)
  • Three-, Two-, and One-Step Sparring (Sensei White)
  • Heian Shodan (Sensei Stanley/Sensei Beck)
  • Heian Nidan (Sensei Stanley/Sensei Beck)
  • Heian Sandan (Sensei Stanley/Sensei Beck)
  • Heian Yondan (Sensei Stanley/Sensei Beck)
  • Heian Godan (Sensei Stanley/Sensei Beck)
  • Zenbei (Sensei Stanley; East-West Tournament kata)
  • Tekki Shodan (Sensei Stanley/Sensei Beck)
  • Tekki Nidan (Sensei Stanley/Sensei Beck)
  • Tekki Sandan (Sensei Stanley/Sensei Beck)
  • Chinte (Sensei Stanley)
  • Southern Indiana Butokukai Marching Drill (Sensei Beck)
  • Ten No Kata (Sensei Beck)
  • Kwanku (Sensei Tuley/Sensei Beck)
  • Nijushiho (Sensei Tuley/Sensei Beck)
  • Wankan (Sensei Tuley/Sensei Beck)
  • Tamashii No Shinsei (Sensei Beck; Kosei-Ryu Karate-Do Kata)
  • Chikara No Shinsei (Sensei Beck; Kosei-Ryu Karate-Do Kata)
  • Tamashii No Sanpo (Sensei Beck; Kosei-Ryu Karate-Do Kata)
  • Chikara No Sanpo (Sensei Beck; Kosei-Ryu Karate-Do Kata)
  • Tamashii No Dansu (Sensei Beck; Kosei-Ryu Karate-Do Kata)
  • Chikara No Dansu (Sensei Beck; Kosei-Ryu Karate-Do Kata)
  • Kokoro No Kaizen (Sensei Beck; Kosei-Ryu Karate-Do Kata)

Weapon Forms Studied and Learned over the years:
  • Bo Staff Form (Sensei Stanley)
  • Modern Arnis 12 points of striking (Sensei Stanley)
  • Modern Arnis defense/disarm for each of the 12 striking targets (Sensei Stanley)
  • Modern Arnis Sinawali and Double Sinawali (Sensei Stanley)
  • Modern Arnis Ahno Isa (empty handed form) (Sensei Stanley)
  • Basic Nunchaku manipulation and striking (Sensei Stanley)
  • Han Bo Form (Sensei Beck)
  • Shinai Drill (Sensei Beck)
  • Bokken vs. Hanbo Blocking Drill (Sensei Beck)
  • First Kenjutsu Katana Form (Sensei Beck)
  • Second Kenjutsu Katana Form (still in progress) (Sensei Beck)

Kung Forms Studied and Learned over the years:
  • 5 Animals Form (Sensei Beck)
  • 4 Masters Form (Sensei Beck)
  • Monkey Drill (Sensei Beck)
  • Multi-System 2-person Blocking Drill (Sensei Beck)

Jujitsu Forms Studied and Learned over the years:
  • Kneeling, Standing, Jumping Ukemis (Sensei Beck)
    • Rolling, Side Fall, Back Fall, Front Fall
  • First Kneeling Set (Sensei Beck)

With the completion of the development of the 7 kata of Kosei-Ryu Karate-Do, I have now begun retracing my steps through my earlier training in an effort to re-establish my proficiency in each of the forms in this list.  That will be more difficult, if not impossible, with a few of the forms and drills but for those specific instances there will be new techniques and concepts to fill any gaps that remain.


I'm very much looking forward to getting reacquainted with the grappling techniques of Kosei-Ryu Bu-Jutsu Jujitsu, escrima and knife fighting techniques of Kali (as taught by Sensei Hunt and Sensei Paulson), as well as continuing to advance my training in Kosei-Ryu Bu-Jutsu Kenjutsu.  And last  but very far from least, in my opinion, I always look forward to sharing my collected wealth of knowledge with other members of the Zen Bu Kai Martial Arts Dojo.

Check out my earlier post if you're interested in reading more about My Black Belt Journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment